Lawn Care Tips
- Fertilizing the lawn is always recommended each year. The best types of fertilizers contain a mixture of different types of nitrogen/phosphorus/and potassium. Some of the best fertilizers can be found at local nurseries and garden centers.
- Fertilizers should be applied 3-6 times per year depending on the type of program you’re in and the overall health of the lawn
- Aeration is another beneficial way to keep your lawn healthy. It helps control thatch, improves the soil structure, helps create growth pockets for new roots, and opens the way for water and fertilizer to reach the new root zone of your lawn.
- Aeration should be done 1-2 times per year (early spring or fall) depending on the overall health of the lawn.
- Sometimes aerating is just not enough, in these scenarios the lawn should be dethatched when it is actively growing and the soil is moderately moist.
- Dethatching should be done at least 1 time per year in early spring or fall.
- For Colorado’s climate, the best time to overseed is in April or September. During these times, temperatures are cooler and moisture can be more abundant. This results in better germination and improved vigor of the newly germinated seedling.
- It’s possible you may have to overseed the lawn once a year to fill in dead spots due to dogs or disease.